Scrubs that are Polyester/cotton mixture and designed for warm temperatures. Many Polyester scrubs require cold water. What are the best ways to make my scrubs last?
- Scrubs made with cotton mix; it is recommended 30-40-degree wash. Many Polyester Scrubs you wash in cold water. But the problem is that these washes do not kill all the bacteria.
- Make sure you read the wash instructions before you wash your scrubs.
- Keep your scrubs separate to your dirty laundry.
- Wash with like colours
- Use white vinegar, add 1 cup of it to the rinse cycle to help kill bacteria. It will also help to deodorize laundry (which is a good sign that odour-causing bacteria has been killed). It is also an effective fabric softener and helps to keep colours bright.  Vinegar, be it white or malt or rosemary-infused, is about 5 per cent acetic acid. The acid kills bacteria and viruses, by chemically changing the proteins and fats that make up these nasties and destroying their cell structures. 
- An alternative to white vinegar is Pine O Clean. For a Front Loader Washing Machine add 2 capfuls to the fabric softener drawer. For a top loader add 4 capfuls to the drum of the washing machine during the rinses cycle. 
- Turn your scrubs inside out and wash in the shade. Don’t leave your scrubs in the sunlight for excessive periods. Dry colours in the shade. As soon as they are dry bring them in.
- Try not to use dryers too often. The heat of the dryers can cause dark scrubs to fade.
- Treat stains before washing and disinfecting your scrubs. You might want to wash your scrubs in cold water to initially remove stains, before washing them a second time in warm water with disinfectant. Warmer water is likely to set the stains.
If you have elitecare scrubs, they are all a Polyester/Cotton mix. We recommend a warm wash with Pine O Cleen or White Vinegar to kill bacteria. This ensures your scrubs will last a long time.
Our new elitecare® Plus range is 65% Cotton and 35% Polyester and is designed for 70-degree temperatures and will not fade. This scrub is guaranteed for 1 year and will arrive in July.
Koi scrubs are mostly polyester, and we recommend a cold wash with Pine O Cleen or White Vinegar. For their Cotton/Polyester blend wash the same as elitecare.